How to stay motivated in life and business
How come some people stick with their habits, while others struggle to stay motivated? Whether that is waking up early to exercise or taking on new challenging initiatives at work.
THE GOLDILOCKS RULE
First, your peak levels of motivation arise when you work on tasks of “just manageable difficulty.” Your brain loves a challenge, but only if it is within an optimal zone of difficulty.
Imagine playing tennis with someone equally as good as you. You win a few points and you lose a few. You have a good chance of winning, but only if you really try. Your focus narrows, distractions fade away, and you find yourself fully invested in the task at hand.
The result: motivation and happiness. In fact, working on tasks at a suitable difficulty level is one of the most important sources of human happiness. But there is a catch.
MEASURE YOUR PROGRESS
You also need to get immediate feedback about how you are doing at each step. Seeing yourself making progress in the moment is incredibly motivating.
In sports, you get immediate feedback based on whether or not you win the point. Regardless of how it is measured, the human brain needs some way to visualize our progress if we are to maintain motivation. We need to be able to see all our small wins along the way.
IN SUMMARY - HOW TO STAY MOTIVATED
Breaking down the mystery of lasting motivated, we could simply say:
1. Always aim for The Goldilocks Zone and work on tasks of just manageable difficulty.
2. Measure your progress and receive immediate feedback whenever possible
Introducing: "The 21 Day Core Challenge" (Free)
By following the advise above, I have designed this program to contain:
- Just the right difficulty: Each the 3 weekly core workouts are (just) 10 min, and can be scaled to your fitness level. See list of exercises below.
- Progress tracker: For each completed workout, you see how close you are to completing the challenge. After completing all the 9 workouts you get the honorable "21 Day Core Badge".
FREE: The program is 100 % free out February, as I am beta-testing my new training platform.
Want to get lean, fit and energized with minimum hassle? Get my free "Growth Kit", containing my 5 best resources:
- "Intermittent Fasting For Beginners" (mini-course)
- "21 Day Core Challenge" (video program)
- "Eat Twice As Much & Get Lean" (E-book)
- "Lean Body, Strong Mind" (Part 1 of my book)
- "Your 7 Primal Moves" (functional training guide)