How Elon Musk’s first principles thinking will get you fit
What does Elon Musk's rockets and a good fitness program have in common? They are built on «first principles». Below you will learn how this approach might get you in the best shape of your life. And luckily, it's not rocket science.
A few years ago, I was struck with a back pain so intense that I could barely sit on a chair for 6 months. I almost failed all my exams and started gaining weight. The doctors told me to give up exercise and live with it. I did not accept that fate.
At the time, I learned about Elon Musk building better and cheaper rockets than NASA. How? By reasoning from "first principles".
How to outsmart NASA
Before SpaceX, a standard rocket could cost up to 65 million USD. So Musk said: "what is the raw material cost of a rocket on the commodity market?". The answer: less than 2 % of the finished rocket price.
So instead of buying a finished rocket for tens of millions, Musk decided to create his own company, purchase the raw materials for cheap and started building his own rockets. Within a few years, SpaceX had cut the price of launching a rocket 10-fold while still making a profit.
The power of first principles thinking
- First principles thinking is the act of boiling a process down to the fundamental parts that you know are true and building up from there. It also might be the single best approach to learn how to think for yourself.
I figured, if Elon Musk could do this with rockets, I could at least try do this with my body and back pain.
That approach literally got me back on my feet.
Applying first principles thinking to your health
Despite this example, this story is not primarily about back pain. It is about breaking down health & fitness to its first principles, so you also can become your own best trainer - and find the best solution for your situation.
Since you are stuck with your body for the rest of your life, you have the potential to become my own best trainer - when properly educated.
In December 2020, I published my book "Lean Body, Strong Mind" and now run an online training program for busy professionals and entrepreneurs.
- That is 9 years after the doctors told me to give up exercise for good.
How to get started
It all comes down to consistently mastering a few simple habits within 5 key areas, as listed below.
- Focus on forming 1 habit at the time. Spreading your focus too thin leads to failure. It takes on average 66 days to establish a new habits from scratch.
- But it takes 0 days to form a new habit if you're truly fed up.
To help you master all the 5 areas listed above with..
- a proven system
- expert guidance
- weekly accountability
Want to get lean, fit and energized with minimum hassle? Get my free "Growth Kit", containing my 5 best resources:
- "Intermittent Fasting For Beginners" (mini-course)
- "21 Day Core Challenge" (video program)
- "Eat Twice As Much & Get Lean" (E-book)
- "Lean Body, Strong Mind" (Part 1 of my book)
- "Your 7 Primal Moves" (functional training guide)